Our Lady of the Most Blessed Sacrament, East Hills

No public posts in this group. You must login and become a member in order to post messages, and view any private posts.
-A A +A

Additional Information:

Open Date:


Close Date:


This parish is presently located at:

Neighborhoods Served:


Parish History

Our Lady of the Most Blessed Sacrament was founded on January 18, 1910, when the bishop instructed Father August Black to establish a new parish.  His first effort involved renting a storeroom to use to celebrate Mass and preparing the room for services.  The first Mass of the new parish was celebrated on July 17, 1910.  The parish immediately began fund raising for a church.  Work on the church began late in 1913 or early in 1914.  Progress was rapid and on March 1, 1914, the cornerstone was laid.  The completed church was dedicated on June 1, 1914.

In 1925, the parish built a school which operated until 1937, when it closed.  At the end of World War II, the parish experienced a significant spurt of growth.  The school was reopened in 1951.  The church was soon overcrowded.  Also at this time, the church began showing its age.  Faced with the need for extensive repairs to a church that was too small, the parish decided to build a new church.  Since the school was also facing crowding problems, the decision was made to build an addition to the school that would include a church on the lower level and classrooms on the upper level.  The new addition was dedicated on October 25, 1959.  The old church was torn down in 1961.

The fortunes of the parish soon turned, however.  Beginning in the 1960's, the congregation began to rapidly drop as people moved from the city to the suburbs.  In the 1980's, the congregation dropped to the point that the parish did not need as large a church as they had.  During the decade, the church was partitioned and part of the space was used to create a social hall.

By the 1990's, the congregation had dropped to the point that it was no longer feasible to maintain the parish as an independent entity.  In 1992, Our Lady of the Most Blessed Sacrament merged with five other parishes to form the new St. Charles Lwanga parish.  At first, Our Lady of Most Blessed Sacrament Church remained open and served the new parish.  In 1996, the parish decided that the cost of keeping the church open exceeded the benefits.  On February 18, 1996, the parish celebrated the closing liturgy of the church.  Soon afterwards the building was sold.

Photos From the Diocesan Archive:

First church, 1933
Interior of church, 1933

File Attachments: