Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary

No public posts in this group. You must login and become a member in order to post messages, and view any private posts.
-A A +A
Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Mass Schedule:

Saturday Vigil: 4:00 p.m.

Sunday: 8:00, 10:00 a.m.; 12:00 noon; 7:45 p.m.

Weekdays: M/F 8:00; S 10:00 a.m.

Holy Days: HV 7:00 p.m. (W 6:30 p.m.);

H 8:00, 11:00 a.m.; 7:00 p.m.


Saturday: 10:30-11:30 a.m.; after 10:00 a.m. Mass

Saturday Evening: 5:00 - 5:30 p.m.; after 4:00 p.m. Mass

Javascript is required to view this map.

Religious Education:

35 N Jackson Ave
Pittsburgh, PA 15202
Phone: 412-766-4046

School: Assumption:

35 N Jackson Ave
Pittsburgh, PA 15202
Phone: 412-761-7887
Fax: 412-761-7620

Administrative Center:

45 N Sprague Ave
Pittsburgh, PA 15202
Phone: 412-766-6660/412-766-6682
Fax: 412-766-4836


Rev. Dennis M. Buranosky, Pastor
Rev. Peter P. Murphy, MDiv, Senior Parochial Vicar

Additional Information:

Parish ID:


Open Date:


Neighborhoods Served:


Parish History

Assumption Church was founded in 1903.  The parish was founded to meet the needs of the growing suburban communities of Bellevue and Avalon.  Bishop Richard Phelan suggested the name of the new parish to commemorate the first log chapel built by the French in 1754 where the first Mass west of the Alleghenies was offered.  The first church was a rented former dance hall located above a stable on Lincoln Ave.  The first parish Mass was held here on September 13, 1903.  The disadvantages of holding services above a stable soon became apparent and work began on a new church on North Jackson Avenue in 1904.  The cornerstone was laid in August 1904 and the first Mass in the new church was celebrated on January 1, 1905.

The parish continued to grow and the decision was made to open a school.  Rather than build a separate school building, the parish enlarged the existing church building to add six classrooms.  This construction took place in 1913 in time for the school to open in September of that year.

The parish continued to grow and in 1924 land was purchased for a new church.  Ground for the church was broken on June 9, 1930.  The cornerstone was laid on August 17, 1930, and the building was dedicated on November 22, 1931.  Although the church was open for use by the congregation, the building was not completed according to the plans.  The church lacked its stained glass windows, organ, side altars, baptistry and some of the interior decorations.  These were not added to the church until the late 1940's.  With the building of a new church, the old church facilities were converted to classrooms.

Photos From the Diocesan Archive:

First Assumption Church after it had been converted to a school, 1942
Assumption Church, 2002
Altar, 1978
View of Interior from Altar, 1931
Main altar of church, 1942
Side altar and main altar, 1942
Interior of church, 2002

File Attachments:

Assumption Parish Map.pdf166.36 KB