Assumption, Daisytown

No public posts in this group. You must login and become a member in order to post messages, and view any private posts.
-A A +A

Additional Information:

Parish ID:


Open Date:


Close Date:


This parish is presently located at:



Neighborhoods Served:


Parish History

Assumption was founded in 1937 as an Hungarian ethnic parish.  The origin of the parish can be traced to the arrival of Hungarian families in 1909 to work in the coal mines.  Beginning in 1910, the pastor of St. Stephen, McKeesport visited the town four times a year to celebrate Mass.  Beginning in 1926, St. Emory, Connellsville, took responsibility for the area.  The pastor of St. Emory visited Daisytown once a month to celebrate Mass in the public school hall.

In 1937, work began on a church building.  The church was dedicated on April 24, 1938.  The church continued to be a mission of St. Emory until the creation of the Diocese of Greensburg in 1951.  Assumption then became a mission of St. Ann, Hazelwood. 

Due to the loss of population in the area during the last half of the century, Assumption and St. Mary, Daisytown were merged with St. Agnes Richeyville in 1994.  Assumption church was closed soon afterwards.

Photos From the Diocesan Archive:

Assumption church, 1938

File Attachments: