Holy Cross, Glassport

No public posts in this group. You must login and become a member in order to post messages, and view any private posts.
-A A +A

Additional Information:

Open Date:


Close Date:


This parish is presently located at:



Neighborhoods Served:


Parish History

Holy Cross was established in 1904 as a Polish parish.  The origin of the parish can be traced to the rise of industry in Glassport and the arrival of Polish immigrants to work in those industries.  Before Holy Cross was founded, local Poles traveled to McKeesport to attend Mass at St. Mary.  Early in the century, a group of local Poles petitioned the bishop for permission to establish their own parish.  In response to this petition, the bishop sent a Polish priest to Glassport to organize a new parish.

Until a church could be built, Mass was celebrated either in the territorial St. Cecilia Church in Glassport or in a rented facility.  In 1905 work began on a church.  The new church was dedicated in 1906.  Unfortunately, the parish did not have long to enjoy their new church.  On January 21, 1907, a fire broke out in the church and completely destroyed it.  Mass again moved back to a rented hall as the parish rebuilt.  The cornerstone of the new church was laid on March 10, 1907, and the completed church was dedicated on November 27, 1907.

The church was repaired and renovated in the 1920's and 1930's.  However, by the early 1950's, the parish needed a new church.  Ground for the new church was broken on May 18, 1952.  The cornerstone was laid on May 10, 1953, and the completed church was dedicated on November 14, 1954.  The old church was then converted to a parish hall.

As the rise of industry at the beginning of the century led to the creation of the parish, the loss of industry near the end of the century led to its suppression.  In 1994, Holy Cross merged with St. Cecilia to form the new Queen of the Rosary parish.  Holy Cross Church remains open and serves the new parish.

Photos From the Diocesan Archive:

Second Holy Cross Church, 1933
Interior of second church, 1933
Holy Cross Church, 2002
Interior of Holy Cross, 2002

File Attachments: