Holy Family, Lawrenceville

No public posts in this group. You must login and become a member in order to post messages, and view any private posts.
-A A +A

Additional Information:

Open Date:


Close Date:


This parish is presently located at:



Neighborhoods Served:


Parish History

Holy Family was established as a Polish parish in 1902.  The parish was formed in response to the growth of Polish immigrants to the Lawrenceville area.  In 1900, a group of these immigrants formed a committee to explore the possibility of forming a parish.  They began fund raising for a church and, in 1902, petitioned the bishop for permission to form a parish.  The bishop granted his permission in October of 1902 and land for a church was purchased shortly afterwards.  Until the church was built, the parish celebrated Mass in St. Augustine Church.  Construction of a combined church and school building began in late 1902 or early 1903.  The cornerstone was laid on June 7, 1903, and the completed building was dedicated on March 20, 1904. 

As early as the late 1920's, the parish began making plans to build a new church.  However, the depression struck the country before work could begin on a church.  The financial difficulties that rose out of the depression put these plans on hold.  It was not until 1939 that the parish could proceed with their building plans.  Work on the new church began in that year.  The cornerstone was laid on January 7, 1940, and the church was dedicated on October 28, 1940.  The original church was converted to classrooms and an auditorium and continued to serve the parish for another two decades.  This building was torn down in 1963 to make room for a new school, convent and rectory.

In 1948 the interior of the church was renovated with the painting of a series of wall murals.  The bells from the original church were transferred to the new church in 1961. 

Beginning in the later half of the century, the population of the city began to decline steadily.  By the 1990's the city no longer had enough people to support the number of parishes then in existence.  In 1993, Holy Family merged with three other parishes to form the new Our Lady of the Angels parish.  At first Holy Family Church remained open and continued to serve the new parish.  Howver, as time went on, it became obvious that the parish could not support three church buildings.  At the request of the parish pastoral and finance councils, the parish closed Holy Family Church on Dec. 28, 2008.

Photos From the Diocesan Archive:

Holy Family Church, 2002
Interior of church, 2002

File Attachments: