Holy Name, Duquesne

No public posts in this group. You must login and become a member in order to post messages, and view any private posts.
-A A +A

Additional Information:

Open Date:


Close Date:


This parish is presently located at:

Neighborhoods Served:


Parish History

Holy Name was established in the summer of 1890.  Originally, the parish was named St. Killian.  While a church was being built, Mass was celebrated in a commercial building.  A frame church was completed in 1891.  This church served the community until November 12, 1899, when a fire destroyed it.  The congregation again found a commercial building to celebrate Mass while a new church was being built.

The cornerstone of the church was laid on July 30, 1899.  At this time, the church was renamed Holy Name.  The first Mass in the new building was celebrated on December 25, 1900.  The completed building was dedicated on November 24, 1901.  On March 29, 1928, lightning struck the steeple of the church, which was never replaced.

By the end of the century, the population of Duquesne dropped to the point that it could no longer support the number of parishes in existence.  In February of 1994, Holy Name was merged with St. Hedwig to form the new Christ the Light of the World parish.  Holy Name Church remains open and serves the new parish.

Photos From the Diocesan Archive:

Holy Name Church, 1934
Side altar of church, 1934
Holy Name Church, 2002

File Attachments: