Holy Redeemer

No public posts in this group. You must login and become a member in order to post messages, and view any private posts.
-A A +A
Holy Redeemer

Mass Schedule:

Saturday Vigil: 5:00 p.m.

Sunday: 8:00, 10:00 a.m., 12:00 noon

Weekdays: M-F 7:00, 9:00 a.m.; Sat. 9:00 a.m.


Saturday: 12:30-1:30 p.m.

Javascript is required to view this map.

Religious Education:

603 Bridge St
Ellwood City, PA 16117
Phone: 724-758-5562
Fax: 724-752-1271

Administrative Center:

300 Crescent Ave, Suite 1
Ellwood City, PA 16117
Phone: 724-758-4411/724-758-7587
Fax: 724-752-1466

School: Holy Redeemer:

311 Lawrence Ave
Ellwood City, PA 16117
Phone: 724-758-5591
Fax: 724-758-0705

Convent: Holy Redeemer:

300 Crescent Ave
Ellwood City, PA 16117
Phone: 724-758-3741


Rev. Mark L. Thomas, Pastor
Rev. Zachary A. Galiyas, Parochial Vicar
Rev. Joseph J. Dascenzo, In Residence

Additional Information:

Parish ID:


Open Date:


Neighborhoods Served:

Ellwood City

     We, the people of Holy Redeemer Roman Catholic Parish, are one family united in Jesus Christ.  Blessed by the Father's love, redeemed by the Son and guided by the Holy Spirit, we freely share our faith and serve the community with love and compassion.

     God, our Father calls us to enrich our lives through Word and Sacrament, Prayer and Action.  We pledge to build our lives according to the truths of Sacred Scripture and the teachings of the Church.

     We welcome you to join our faith journey.

Parish History

Holy Redeemer parish was established on February 5, 2000.  The parish was formed by the merger of the then two existing parishes in Ellwood City, St. Agatha and Purification of the Blessed Virgin Mary.  The merger was the result of a study begun in July 1998 by a committee consisting of members of both parishes.  The study looked at the parishes' ministries, demographics, finances, worship and buildings.  The study concluded that the declining population and shrinking economy meant that Ellwood City could no longer support two independent parishes.  Since both parishes already shared priests and several ministries, a merger of the two parishes was the logical next step.  This merger took place on September 5, 2000.

At first, both churches remained open and served the new parish.  It soon became obvious, however, that the parish could not support two churches.  On September 8, 2007, St. Agatha was officially closed and Purification of the Blessed Virgin Mary was renamed Holy Redeemer.

An additional change to the parish happened in 2011.  On April 1, 2011, a fire struck Queen of Heaven Church, Koppel.  Before repairing the church building, the diocese conducted a study to determine the needs and resources of the local Catholic community to determine if the church should be repaired.  Based on the study, the diocese decided to merge Queen of Heaven Parish into Holy Redeemer Parish.  The merger took place on November 26, 2011.

Photos From the Diocesan Archive:

Holy Redeemer, the former Purification of the Blessed Virgin Mary Church, 2002

File Attachments:

Holy Redeemer Parish Map.pdf164.39 KB