No public posts in this group. You must login and become a member in order to post messages, and view any private posts.
-A A +A

Mass Schedule:

Saturday Vigil: 4:00 p.m.

Sunday: 9:00 a.m.; 12:00 noon

Weekdays: F 9:00 a.m.; W 7:00 p.m.

Holy Days: HV 7:00 p.m.; 7:00 p.m.


Wednesday: 6:15-6:45 p.m.

Javascript is required to view this map.

Religious Education:

5811 Curry Road
Pittsburgh, PA 15236
Phone: 412-655-1565

Administrative Center:

5811 Curry Road
Pittsburgh, PA 15236
Phone: 412-655-3000
Fax: 412-650-4658

Church Building:

5800 Brownsville Rd
Pittsburgh, PA 15236


Rev. John J. Baver, MDiv., Administrator

Additional Information:

Parish ID:


Open Date:


Neighborhoods Served:

South Park

Parish History

Nativity Parish was established in 1905.  It began as a mission of St. Francis of Assisi, Finleyville to serve surrounding mining communities.  Mass was offered in a local school.  In 1910, the parish became independent with the appointment of a resident pastor.  Shortly afterwards a church was built, but it did not last long.  During the night of February 25, 1918, the church caught fire and burned down.  Until a new church could be built, Mass was celebrated in the Moose Hall and Lamb's Hall.  The cornerstone of the new church was laid on July 28, 1918 and the completed church was dedicated on December 25, 1919.

This church served the congregation for 40 years.  In the 1950's, plans were drawn up for a new combined church/school building.  Groundbreaking for the new building took place on November 1, 1959.  The completed building was dedicated on October 22, 1960.  In 1966, the old church was torn down to make room for a new activities building.

The parish renovated the church in 1983-1984.  A new organ was purchased in 1995 and stained glass windows were installed in 1998-1999.  The church was again renovated in 2007. 

In February of 2010 a massive snowstorm caused a power outage which was followed by a surge.  This led to the failure of the heating system.  Water pipes above the church froze and caused serious water damage to the church.  The parish moved Mass to the parish gym until the damage could be repaired.  On December 18, 2010, the restored church reopened with a Mass of thanksgiving.

Photos From the Diocesan Archive:

Second Nativity Church, 1932
Interior of second church, 1932
Nativity Church/school, 2002
Interior of Nativity Church, 2002

File Attachments:

Nativity Parish Map.pdf93.66 KB