Our Lady of Consolation

No public posts in this group. You must login and become a member in order to post messages, and view any private posts.
-A A +A
Diocese of Pittsburgh Shield

Mass Schedule:

Saint Mary

Sunday:  8:00 am

Our Lady of Consolation

Saturday Vigil:  4:45 pm

Sacred Heart

Sunday:  11:00 am

Saint Hugh

Saturday Vigil: 6:00 pm

Sunday: 9:30 am


Our Lady of Consolation

Saturday:  Before Vigil Mass

Javascript is required to view this map.

Sacred Heart:

126 Crucible Rd
Rices Landing, PA 15357

Administrative Center:

408 Route 88
Carmichaels, PA 15320
Phone: 724-966-7270/724-966-7909
Fax: 724-966-9118

Saint Mary's:

676 Carmichaels St. Extension
Rices Landing, PA 15357

Our Lady of Consolation:

837 Wood St Ext
Nemacolin, PA 15351


Rev. J. Francis Frazer, Moderator of Team Ministry
Rev. John M. Bauer, Team Ministry
Deacon Thomas W. Raymond, Deacon Administrator
Deacon Elbert A. Kuhns
Deacon James M Sheil

Additional Information:

Parish ID:


Open Date:


Neighborhoods Served:

Rice's Landing

Parish History

Our Lady of Consolation was founded in 1923.  It's founding was the result of the growth of population in Nemacolin.  The first Mass was held in the summer of that year in an old school building.  For three years, Nemacolin was visited by priests from All Saints in Masontown and Our Lady of Perpetual Help in Leckrone (both parishes are now part of the Diocese of Greensburg).  In the fall of 1926 Bishop Hugh Boyle appointed a pastor to Our Lady of Consolation.

The former school building that was serving as a church at that point was considered only a temporary expedient.  On November 30, 1928, land was purchased for a new church.  Construction was begun immediately and the first Mass was celebrated in the unfinished church building on Christmas Day of 1928.  The cornerstone for the new church was laid on February 22, 1929, and the completed building was dedicated on May 30, 1929.

On December 30, 1961, fire struck the church.  However, the fire was extinguished quickly enough to save the church.  Despite the damage, Mass was celebrated in the church the next day. 

Over the years, several changes were made to the building, most notably the addition of a steeple.  However, this church still stands and continues to serve the Catholic community of Nemacolin.

On August 28, 1992, St. Mary, Crucible and Sacred Heart, Rice's Landing were merged with Our Lady of Consolation.  All three churches remain open and serve the parish.

Photos From the Diocesan Archive:

Exterior of Our Lady of Consolation Church; the building to the right is the rectory, 1934
Our Lady of Consolation Church, 2002
Sacred Heart Church, Rice's Landing, 2002
Interior of Sacred Heart Church, 2002
St. Mary Church, 2002
Altar of St. Mary Church, 2002

File Attachments:

Our Lady of Consolation Parish Map.pdf133.44 KB