Our Lady of Perpetual Help, North Side

No public posts in this group. You must login and become a member in order to post messages, and view any private posts.
-A A +A

Additional Information:

Open Date:


Close Date:


This parish is presently located at:



Neighborhoods Served:

North Side

Parish History

Our Lady of Perpetual Help was established in 1937 as a mission of the Italian parish of Regina Coeli.  In that year the assistant pastor of Regina Coeli began celebrating Mass in the Brighton Road District for the Italians living there.  For two years Mass was celebrated in the Lodge Hall of the Independent Beneficial Society of the Order of the Italian Sons and Daughters of America.  In 1939, a new pastor was assigned to Regina Coeli.  He began discussions with local residents to discuss purchasing a church for the area.  In that year, the Central Mission church building of the McClure Avenue Presbyterian Church came on the market.  Local committees were organized to raise funds to buy the church.  On January 27, 1940, the church was purchased.  The church was renovated and dedicated on July 4, 1940.

In 1958, responsibility for the mission was transferred to St. Leo.  Beginning around this time, the population of the area began to steadily decline.  By 1993, the population of the North Side had dropped to the point that the community could no longer support the number of parishes in existence.  In that year, Our Lady of Perpetual Help was merged with three parishes to form the new Risen Lord parish.  As part of the merger, Our Lady of Perpetual Help was closed and sold shortly afterwards.

Photos From the Diocesan Archive:

Our Lady of Perpetual Help Church, 1941

File Attachments: