Resurrection, Brookline

No public posts in this group. You must login and become a member in order to post messages, and view any private posts.
-A A +A
Diocese of Pittsburgh Shield

Mass Schedule:

Saturday Vigil: 4:00 p.m.

Sunday: 8:30, 11:30 a.m.; 6:30 p.m.

Weekdays: M 6:00 p.m. (Miraculous Medal Novena after Mass);

T-F 9:00 a.m.

Holy Days: HV 6:00 p.m.; H 7:00, 9:00 a.m.; 6:00 p.m.


T-F: After 9:00 a.m. Mass

Saturday: 3:00 p.m.

Javascript is required to view this map.

Religious Education:

1100 Creedmoor Ave
Pittsburgh, PA 15226-2299
Phone: 412-343-9551

Administrative Center:

1100 Creedmoor Ave
Pittsburgh, PA 15226-2299
Phone: 412-563-4400
Fax: 412-563-4403

School: Brookline Regional Catholic:

2690 Waddington Ave
Pittsburgh, PA 15226-1759
Phone: 412-563-0858
Fax: 412-341-5610


Rev. James M. Bachner, Administrator
Deacon Richard A. Longo
Rev. Gary W. Oehmler, MDiv, Parochial Vicar
Rev. Fernando Torres, LC, Parochial Vicar
Deacon Mark S. Bibro
Deacon Thomas J. O`Neill

Additional Information:

Parish ID:


Open Date:


Neighborhoods Served:


Parish History

Resurrection parish was established in 1909.  The origin of the parish can be traced to the opening of the Mt. Washington Streetcar Tunnel in 1904.  Before the tunnel opened, travel to Pittsburgh from the South Hills was time consuming and difficult.  This kept the population in the area down.  Once travel to and from Pittsburgh became easier, Brookline experienced a rapid growth.  By 1909, Brookline had grown to the point that a parish could be supported.  On May 3, 1909, land for a church was purchased and on May 25, the parish was officially established.  The first Mass of the parish was celebrated on May 30 in a rented storeroom.  This storeroom served as a church for a year. 

Beginning in June of 1909, work began on a combined church and school building.  The cornerstone was laid on September 19, 1909, and the first Mass was celebrated in the new church on March 27, 1910.  The basement of the building was devoted to the church and the upper floor constituted the school.  To meet the growing needs of the school, a second floor and a wing was added to the original building in 1912.  A second wing was added in 1923 to 1924.  A final addition, connecting the two wings, was constructed in 1928.

The continuing growth of the parish led to the building of a new church.  Ground for the church was broken on April 25, 1938, and the completed church was dedicated on February 13, 1939.  The original church was converted into a gym and, in 1953, into four classrooms.  The church was renovated in 1955 and 1984.

Photos From the Diocesan Archive:

Resurrection Church, 2002
Interior of church, 2002

File Attachments:

Resurrection Parish Map, Brookline.pdf140.12 KB