Sacred Heart, Shadyside

No public posts in this group. You must login and become a member in order to post messages, and view any private posts.
-A A +A
Sacred Heart, Shadyside

Mass Schedule:

Saturday Vigil: 4:30 p.m.

Sunday: 8:00, 9:30, 11:30 a.m.; 7:45 p.m.

Weekdays: M-F 8:30 a.m.; 12:05 p.m.; Sat. 8:30 a.m.

Holy Days: H 8:30 a.m.; 12:05, 7:00 p.m.


Thursday: 11:15-11:45 a.m.

Saturday: 12:30-1:30 p.m.

Javascript is required to view this map.

Administrative Center:

310 Shady Ave
Pittsburgh, PA 15206-4389
Phone: (412) 661-0187
Fax: (412) 661-7932

Religious Education:

310 Shady Ave
Pittsburgh, PA 15206-4389
Phone: (412) 661-0187

School: Sacred Heart :

325 Emerson St
Pittsburgh, PA 15206-4201
Phone: (412) 441-1582
Fax: (412) 441-2798


Rev. Robert J. Grecco, Pastor
Rev. Edward S. Litavec, In Residence
Deacon John A. Vaskov, Permanent Deacon
Rev. David G. Rombold, In Residence

Parish Staff:

Rev. Robert J. Grecco, MEd Pastor

Additional Information:

Parish ID:


Open Date:


Neighborhoods Served:


Parish History

Sacred Heart was founded in 1872.  The origin of the parish can be traced to the arrival of Irish immigrants to the East End in the years before the parish founding.  Originally the area had been settled primarily by Germans, who established the German parish of Ss. Peter and Paul.  As English speaking Catholics settled in the area, they attended Ss. Peter and Paul.  Since the sermons and prayers were conducted in German, the newcomers, with the concurrence of the pastor of Ss. Peter and Paul, decided in 1871 to organize a new parish.  The bishop agreed to the formation of the parish and in 1872 assigned a resident pastor for the new parish.  The first Mass of Sacred Heart parish was celebrated on August 4, 1872, in Ss. Peter and Paul Church.

The next day work began on a small church.  The building was completed in two weeks and the first Mass was celebrated there on August 18, 1872.  This building was only meant to serve as a temporary church.  On June 15, 1873, the cornerstone of a new, larger church was laid.  The completed church was dedicated on October 24, 1875. 

By the 1920's it became obvious that a larger church would be needed.  But rather than build the new church on Center Avenue, where the first two churches had been located, property was purchased on Shady Ave.  Plans were made for an impressive Gothic church, based on some of the great Cathedrals of Europe.  Ground was broken on March 7, 1924, beginning church construction that would not be completed for close to 30 years.  On October 8, 1926, the last Mass was celebrated in the old church and two days later the first Mass was celebrated in the new church.  Although the church was in use, it was far from finished.  Mass was celebrated in the church's Nave at a temporary altar.  On March 7, 1928, ground was broken for the church's Sanctuary, which was dedicated on January 7, 1929.

The parish continued making additions to the church building.  On November 31, 1931, the facade window was installed.  Six years later, the auditorium in the Crypt of the church was completed.  Blessed Sacrament Chapel was dedicated on May 8, 1941.  On September 26, 1954, the Lady Chapel was dedicated and on October 31, 1954, the Bell Tower Memorial was dedicated.

The church continues to serve the congregation today.

Photos From the Diocesan Archive:

Sacred Heart Church, 2001
Interior Sacred Heart Church, 2001

File Attachments:

Sacred Heart Parish Map, Shadyside.pdf104.81 KB