Saint Ann, Hazelwood

No public posts in this group. You must login and become a member in order to post messages, and view any private posts.
-A A +A

Additional Information:

Open Date:


Close Date:


This parish is presently located at:



Neighborhoods Served:


Parish History

St. Ann was founded in June of 1914 as a Hungarian parish.  The parish was a result of immigration of Hungarians to Hazelwood.  At first, the parish celebrated Mass in the basement of St. John Greek Catholic Church in the South Side.  Later, they moved to the Assembly Hall of the Carnegie Library branch in Hazelwood.  Work on a new church began in 1919.  The cornerstone of the church was laid on March 2, 1919.  The basement was completed in 1919 and was used for services for five years.  In 1924, work began on the superstructure of the building and the church was dedicated in May of 1925.

Due to the loss of population in the area, St. Ann and St. Stephen Hazelwood were merged in 1993 to form a new parish.  The new parish was named St. Stephen.  St. Ann Church initially remained open and served the parish, but it soon became obvious that the parish could not support two church buildings.  On June 14, 1998, St. Ann Church was closed and sold soon afterward.

Photos From the Diocesan Archive:

St. Ann Church, 1938
Main altar, 1938
Interior of St. Ann, 1938

File Attachments: