Saint Benedict the Moor

No public posts in this group. You must login and become a member in order to post messages, and view any private posts.
-A A +A
Diocese of Pittsburgh Shield

Mass Schedule:

Sunday: Sept. to June 9:00 a.m.; 12:00 noon (Church); July to August 9:00 a.m.; 11:00 a.m. (Church)

Thursday: 9:15 a.m. (During School Year - School Chapel)


Sunday: 8:30-8:55 a.m.

Javascript is required to view this map.

Religious Education:

91 Crawford Street at Centre Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15219
Phone: 412-281-3141


2901 Webster Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15219
Phone: 412-621-0519

Church Building:

1500 Centre Ave
Pittsburgh, PA 15219

School: Saint Benedict the Moor:

631 Watt Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15219
Phone: 412-682-3755
Fax: 412-682-4058

Administrative Center:

91 Crawford Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15219
Phone: 412-281-3141
Fax: 412-391-7151


Rev. Richard J. Zelik, OFM Cap. Pastor

Additional Information:

Parish ID:


Open Date:


Neighborhoods Served:

Hill District

Parish History

St. Benedict the Moor was established on July 1, 1977.  The parish was formed by the merger of St. Brigid-St. Benedict the Moor parish and St. Richard parish.  The new parish was given the name of St. Benedict the Moor.  Of the two churches, St. Richard was closed and converted to a school.  The St. Brigid-St. Benedict the Moor Church was renamed St. Benedict the Moor.  This was the fourth name change for the building.  Originally the church was Holy Trinity Church.  In 1958, Holy Trinity parish was suppressed and merged with St. Brigid.  The new parish used the Holy Trinity Church building and renamed it St. Brigid.  In 1968, St. Brigid merged with St. Benedict the Moor.  The church was then renamed St. Brigid-St. Benedict the Moor.

The church was renovated in 1981.  This church continues to serve the congregation today.

Photos From the Diocesan Archive:

St. Benedict the Moor, 2002
Interior of church, 2002

File Attachments:

St. Benedict the Moor Parish Map.pdf134.23 KB