Saint Brigid, Uptown

No public posts in this group. You must login and become a member in order to post messages, and view any private posts.
-A A +A

Additional Information:

Open Date:


Close Date:


This parish is presently located at:

Neighborhoods Served:

Hill District

Parish History

St. Brigid parish was founded in 1853.  Construction of a combined church and school began on January 11, 1853 on Wylie Street and the completed structure was dedicated in December, 1853.  As the population of the Hill District began to grow, this first church soon became inadequate.  On July 30, 1865 the cornerstone of a new church to be located on Enoch Street was laid.  Construction was slow but the church was almost completed when the unfinished building was destroyed by a fire on April 8, 1871. 

The cornerstone of a new church was laid on July 16, 1871 and the completed building was dedicated on April 28, 1872.  The church remained for over 80 years.  Due to the movement of the Catholic population out of the area, St. Brigid and Holy Trinity parish were merged on April 16, 1958.  The new parish retained the name St. Brigid but moved to the Holy Trinity church building.  The St. Brigid church was torn down in 1961.  The land was then used to build the Frederick Ozanam Cultural Center.

As for the parish, St. Brigid remained an independent parish until the spring of 1968.  At that time St. Brigid merged with St. Benedict the Moor parish and the combined parish was named St. Brigid-St. Benedict the Moor.  On June 30, 1977, St. Brigid-St. Benedict the Moor parish merged with St. Richard parish.  The St. Brigid name disappeared as the new parish was named St. Benedict the Moor.

Photos From the Diocesan Archive:

St. Brigid Church, 1935
Interior of church, 1953

File Attachments: