Saint Casimir, South Side

No public posts in this group. You must login and become a member in order to post messages, and view any private posts.
-A A +A

Additional Information:

Open Date:


Close Date:


This parish is presently located at:



Neighborhoods Served:

South Side

Parish History

St. Casimir, the first Lithuanian parish in the diocese, was founded in 1893.  The parish was the outgrowth of the influx of Lithuanian immigrants to work in the area mills.  In 1891 a committee of  local Lithuanians appointed a committee to pursue the establishment of parish.  In 1893, St. Casimir was founded.  At first, services were held in the basement of St. Paul Cathedral.  In the fall of 1893, the parish purchased an old Protestant church on Carson Street.  This church was dedication on February 11, 1894.  Within a few years, the parish bought a lot on Sarah Street for the building of a new church.  In 1900, the parish abandoned the first church and conducted services temporarily in the new school building.  By 1902, St. Casimir church was completed and dedicated on June 27, 1902. 

This church served the community for over 80 years.  However, due to population loss in the South Side, it was no longer practical to maintain all of the South Side parishes as independent entities.  In 1992, the South Side parishes were merged and the new Prince of Peace parish was created.  St. Casimir church was closed as part of this merger.

Photos From the Diocesan Archive:

First St. Casimir Church, 1893-1900
St. Casimir, 1990
St. Casimir Main Altar, 1990

File Attachments: