Saint Conrad, Meridian

No public posts in this group. You must login and become a member in order to post messages, and view any private posts.
-A A +A

Additional Information:

Open Date:


Close Date:


This parish is presently located at:

Neighborhoods Served:


Parish History

St. Conrad was established in 1934.  The parish foundation was based on the recommendation of the Missionary Confraternity of Christian Doctrine (MCCD). The diocese formed the MCCD to bring religious instruction to Catholics living in small, isolated communities who did not have easy access to an existing church.  On January 30, 1934, the MCCD made arrangements with St. Fidelis Seminary in Herman to regularly send a priest to Meridian to celebrate Mass.  On February 2, 1934, local Catholics rented the upper floor of an old school building that had been converted into a home.  This upper floor was used for religious instruction for children and for celebrating Mass.  The first Mass was celebrated on February 24, 1934.

On September 20, 1936, ground was broken for a church building.  The cornerstone of the church was laid on May 2, 1937, and the completed church was dedicated on October 31, 1937.

Beginning in the 1940's, the parish experienced a period of growth.  On June 13, 1957, the parish status was changed from a mission to an independent parish.  By the early 1960's, the congregation had outgrown the church.  On March 17, 1964, ground was broken for a new church.  On November 25, 1964, the last Mass was celebrated in the original church.  The building was then converted into a parish hall.  On November 26, 1964, the first Mass was held in the new church.  The building was formally dedicated on June 8, 1965.  In 1970, after the parish built a new activities hall, the old church was sold.

By the early 1990's, the area population had dropped to the point that it could no longer support the number of existing parishes.  In 1995, St. Conrad merged with St. Stanislaus Kostka and St. John in Lyndora to form the new St. Fidelis of Sigmaringen parish.  St. Conrad Church remains open and serves the new parish.

Photos From the Diocesan Archive:

First St. Conrad Church, 1937
Interior of first church, 1937
Current St. Conrad Church, 2002
Interior of current church, 2002

File Attachments: