Saint Cyril of Alexandria

No public posts in this group. You must login and become a member in order to post messages, and view any private posts.
-A A +A
Diocese of Pittsburgh Shield

Mass Schedule:

Saturday Vigil: 4:30 p.m.

Sunday: 8:30, 11:00 a.m.

Weekdays: M-F 7:30 a.m.

Holy Days: As scheduled


Saturday: 1:00-1:30 p.m.

Javascript is required to view this map.

Administrative Center:

3854 Brighton Rd
Pittsburgh, PA 15212
Phone: 412-761-1552

School: Saint Cyril of Alexandria:

3854 Brighton Rd
Pittsburgh, PA 15212
Phone: 412-761-5043
Fax: 412-761-0840


Rev. James L. Bruney, Pastor
Rev. Lawrence R. Smith, Residence

Additional Information:

Parish ID:


Open Date:


Neighborhoods Served:

Brighton Heights

Parish History

St. Cyril of Alexandria was established on June 4, 1924.  The origin of the parish can be traced to the growth of population in Brighton Heights following World War I.  Before the parish was founded, local Catholics traveled to either St. Leo or St. Francis Xavier to attend Mass.  As the population grew, the desire for an independent parish also grew.  In 1924, 131 Catholics signed a petition to the bishop requesting their own parish.

For the first twenty weeks of the parish's existence, Sunday Mass was celebrated in different private homes.  Ground for a new church was broken on October 12, 1924.  The first Mass in the church was celebrated on Christmas Day of 1924 and the building was dedicated on January 18, 1925.

On August 3, 1952, fire struck the church.  Before the building could be completely repaired, another fire struck, on September 15, 1953, causing extensive damage.  After the last fire, a decision was made to build a new church.  Ground for the new church was broken in the spring of 1954.  The cornerstone was laid on June 13, 1954, and the completed building was dedicated on December 12, 1954.  The old church was converted to a hall and classrooms and used by the school.  That building was eventually torn down in 1966.

Photos From the Diocesan Archive:

First St. Cyril Church, 1933
Interior of first church, 1933
Current St. Cyril Church, 2002
Altar of current church, 2002

File Attachments:

St. Cyril of Alexandria Parish Map.pdf127.31 KB