Saint Francis de Sales, McKees Rocks

No public posts in this group. You must login and become a member in order to post messages, and view any private posts.
-A A +A

Additional Information:

Open Date:


Close Date:


This parish is presently located at:

Neighborhoods Served:

McKees Rocks

Parish History

St. Francis de Sales was established in 1889 in response to the growth of population in McKees Rocks.  The cornerstone for the first church, a combination church and school building, was laid on September 8, 1889.  The completed building was dedicated on December 22, 1889.  The first floor was divided into classrooms and the second floor served as the church.

Within a decade, work had begun on a new church.  This second church was dedicated in 1900.  The old church was then converted to a high school.  This building was torn down in the 1930's to make room for a new school building.

Over the years, the church was repaired and renovated.  By the end of the century, it became obvious that McKees Rocks could no longer support the number of parishes in the community.  In 1993, St. Francis de Sales merged with six other parishes to form the new St. John of God parish.  The church was closed after the merger and later sold.

Photos From the Diocesan Archive:

St. Francis de Sales Church, 1932
St. Francis de Sales Church, 1932
Interior of church, 1932

File Attachments: